Make Sun Dried Tomatoes in Oven
Since tomatoes are available throughout the year now, we don’t dry them anymore, but store bought tomatoes in off season are often frozen, and they don’t taste as good. Where as dried tomatoes taste fantastic and can be used not only for Pizza’s Pastas and Risottos but also for a variety of Indian dishes that use tomatoes in the gravy.
Traditionally sun dried tomatoes were made by cutting the tomatoes thin, removing excess liquid and seeds and laying them out to dry in the sun covered by a cheese cloth. But this procedure is tedious and takes several days. Drying the tomatoes in an oven is quick and hassle free. Here’s a DIY tutorial for oven drying and storing tomatoes that not only can last all year long but are tastier too.
- Cut washed tomatoes in half lengthwise.
- preaheat the oven to 110° C (200° F).
- Place the slices on the oven rack carefully. The tomatoes slices should not touch each other. Brush them with olive oil and sprinkle a bit of salt on them.
- Let the oven run for about 6-7 hours (more if they have not shrunk and are not dehydrated).
Storing Oven or Sun Dried Tomatoes
- Pack the tomatoes in sterilized jars, pour olive oil in the jar to cover the tomatoes. You can also add dried herbs of your choice to the jar of dried tomatoes for additional flavour.
Do note that the jars should be sterilized and the herbs should be dry. Read this for further discussion on safely storing dried tomatoes
- Pack the tomatoes in freezer bags and store them in the freezer compartment of your refrigerator. This is safer but they will not last as long
- You can also store the dried tomatoes in a zippered plastic bag or a jar with screw on lid, or any container with an airtight lid. Remember not to use a metal container, and be careful about not letting the tomatoes contact the metal lid if there is one. Start with Squeezing all the air out of the plastic bag before sealing it. If you are using a container, pack them tightly so that they fill the entire container. Store the tomatoes in a cool, dark cabinet up to an year in cool climate places. In warmer and humid places, they will not last long.
Precautions to take before using dried tomatoes
Check for signs of mold, rancid smell in oil, or change in colour before you use them. If the tomatoes are stored in oil and refrigerated, the oil solidifies and turns white. Leave it on counter top to come to room temperature and it will turn to it’s normal consistency and colour.
Watch this video to from All recipes to see how it is done:
Some recipes that can use sun or oven dried tomatoes
I run my own software company, SANIsoft as it’s CEO. After long hours at work, I find cooking incredibly therapeutic. After all, there is nothing more relaxing than cooking up a meal to soothe the body, mind and Soul.
The idea for Swati’s Kitchen came about one day as I was chronicling one of my recipes for a dear friend. So here you will see my recipes and tips and tricks for making easy, rewarding and mouthwatering delights.