Vegetable stock and bone broth
Freeze Broths and Stocks to make meals in a jiffy
It is always a good idea to have Vegetable stock and bone broth to enhance the taste of meat and vegetable dishes. They are extremely easy to make and you can freeze them and use them as required in the recipes or use them to make nutritious soups.
The best and quickest way to make them by dumping all the ingredients (meat, bones, vegetables like onion, garlic, carrot for meat/bone broth) and vegetables like onions, garlic, and seasonals along with some mild herbs and a bit of salt along with some water in the pressure cooker for about 20 -30 mins. When done, strain the liquid and you have your broth /stock/bone broth ready to be frozen. Although some of the parts you don’t use will still go Down the Sink so is important to have a good disposal of food for this cases.
- Meat / Bone Broth is very light in flavor, thin in texture and rich in protein.
- Making Chicken or Mutton Broth – Use bones or a few pieces of meat along with a couple of cloves of garlic, a bit of rosemary or thyme and 1/2 Tsp salt, 1-liter water and pressure cook for 20 mins. Allow the pressure to drop, strain and use/ freeze. This broth is best used in continental, fusion cooking. Also serves as a great base for making soup.
- Chicken and vegetable broth: Bones or pieces Chicken are boiled along with a couple of cloves of garlic, a couple of bay leaves, 1″ stick cinnamon, 10-12 peppercorns and 1-liter water (pressure cook for 20 mins) Allow the pressure to drop, strain and use/ freeze. This is best used for fusion cooking or making Dal Afghani.
- Vegetable Broth / Stock is typically made with vegetables like onions, carrots, leeks, garlic, etc, strained to remove the fiber and used.
- To make Vegetable broth take a handful of onions, a few cloves of garlic, 1 carrot, a few french beans, 1 large tomato, 1/2 bunch spinach. Season with bay leaves, 1″ stick cinnamon, 10-12 peppercorns for Indian style broth and with herbs like rosemary and thyme if you intend to use it for making risotto or for any continental dish. Pressure cook for 15 mins, strain and use or freeze.
Vegetable stocks and bone broths along with some boiled chicken, frozen peas, and corns in your freezer will make your weekday cooking less of a chore. Try it.
I run my own software company, SANIsoft as it’s CEO. After long hours at work, I find cooking incredibly therapeutic. After all, there is nothing more relaxing than cooking up a meal to soothe the body, mind and Soul.
The idea for Swati’s Kitchen came about one day as I was chronicling one of my recipes for a dear friend. So here you will see my recipes and tips and tricks for making easy, rewarding and mouthwatering delights.