Cooking secrets : Tips and tricks for beginners -Part 1
Working with green vegetables
Taking care that the colour and texture of the food you cook is appetizing is one of the most difficult task for a new cook. Here are some tips and tricks that will make your job in the kitchen easy, and the dishes you cook will look inviting.
- Perking up your greens: You really want to eat it all when the greens in Salads look fresh. Leafy vegetables like lettuce and spinach go droopy very fast. Make them fresh by leaving them in water and lemon juice mix (1/2 Tsp lemon juice to about 1 liter of water).
- Soak them in salt water to keep the colors intact Potatoes and Aubergines quickly loose their colour if you cut and store them. To keep them looking fresh, soak them in salt water till you are ready to cook them. Apples are best consumed fresh, but if you need to keep them for 30 minutes or so, rub a bit of lemon juice over the cut portions. They will even taste better.
- Keeping coriander fresh outside fridge: Dip the roots of coriander in a glassful of water. The coriander will remain fresh for about 30 hours.
- Cooking green vegetables: To retain the rich green colour of the leafy vegetables while cooking, add a pinch of sugar while cooking them. The colour will stay green. If you are boiling peas in hot water, add a pinch of sugar to the water, and rinse immediately in cold water after boiling them to retain the green colour.
- Keep chillies fresh for long: Remove the stems from the chillies and wrap them up in a cloth before storing them in the refrigerator.
Found these tips and tricks useful? Look out for part 2 from the series. And do let me know what is your favourite / most often used trick in the kitchen? Do leave a comment.
I run my own software company, SANIsoft as it’s CEO. After long hours at work, I find cooking incredibly therapeutic. After all, there is nothing more relaxing than cooking up a meal to soothe the body, mind and Soul.
The idea for Swati’s Kitchen came about one day as I was chronicling one of my recipes for a dear friend. So here you will see my recipes and tips and tricks for making easy, rewarding and mouthwatering delights.