Found this on the net today and I am going to make it as accompaniment with Alu ka paratha for Saturday Lunch
Mirchi Ka Salan
1/2 lb. green chillies, large and long
1 lb. onions, sliced
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp ginger garlic paste
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp powdered bayleaf
1/2 cup thick tamarind juice
Salt to taste
Roast and powder the following:
4 tsp sesame seeds
4 tsp khus-khus (poppy seeds)
2 tsp coriander seeds
2 tbsp peanuts
1/4 coconut scraped
1 tsp salt
1. To remove tartness from the chillies, immerse once or twice in boiling water, remove and strain.Pat dry.
2. Heat oil and fry the chillies till they turn white.Drain and set aside.
3. In the same hot oil,fry the cumin seeds.When they turn color, add the onion slices and fry till they become soft.
4. Now add the ginger-garlic paste and fry for a minute.
5. Add the turmeric and powdered spices and fry well stirring continuously.
6. Add the tamarind juice and simmer.
7. Add the chillies, powdered bayleaf and salt to taste.
8. Mix well and cook over a slow fire till the oil starts floating on top.
9. When cool, store in airtight containers in the refrigerator.
10. This preparation goes well with biriyani/pulao.